This week I'm playing with a neon theme. On Monday I shared a Neon Moodboard and I've even gotten into the act on Instagram. Today, I have my first neon DIY to share. I found this amazing neon ohrange brocade in a bargain bin and just couldn't resist snatching it up. Today I'm sharing the first part of a two-piece outfit I made with this bright, bright wonder.
For the pattern, I used the bodice from Simplicity 1873. I only made a few changes. First I lengthened the bodice about 1.5 inches. Then after it was all done I decided that there was a little too much width at the side seams, and took it in about .75 inch at each side.
Oh and in the back? An exposed metal zipper of course. The zipper was not quite long enough but I needed it to open at the bottom and top so that I can actually put it on. So, I just left a gap at the bottom.
I'd love to try this top again but without the waist darts to give it a boxier shape. It is a really fun shape and I hope to take it out on the town soon. Next time I make this, I'll make it about an inch longer so that I can wear it with jeans without my tummy peeking out. I had quite a few pictures with bare midriff, that I will not be sharing (just not my thing :). In these pictures, I'm wearing these super high rise jeans. These are my go-to jeans. I totally love them. They are nice and stretchy and I love the high rise. They stay up so much better than low rise jeans which tend to slip down, requiring the oh-so-lovely " grab your waistband and hitch em back up move". Ok, enough about the jeans! Stay tuned for the matching bottom piece!