The only big change I made was to not put in a back zipper. Initially, I inserted a zipper but it puckered and wobbled. I decided it wasn't required as I can slip on the dress without it and removed the zipper. I did put in a button at the back neck with about a 4 inch opening. Maybe if the back was more fitted, though I'd need the zipper.
If I were to make it again, I would tack down the pleats using regular stitches as opposed to the basting stitches instructed by the pattern. I kept expecting to remove the stitches but it never said to so I just left them. Overall, I'm pleased with the result.