Finished sewing projects and pattern reviews

I finished off three sewing projects last night!!!
First this blouse from McCalls M5388, view D.
I bought the fabric about four years ago at a Hancocks in Seattle
. This shirt came together really fast. Overall I like the pattern but did make some adjustments. I took in the front yoke about an inch at the center and the shirt still sits right at the edge of my shoulders. If you have narrow shoulders beware that the yoke is very wide. I also decreased the length of the blouse about an inch because I didn't have enough fabric and it is a long shirt (almost a tunic). The pattern uses bias tape instead of a facing at the back neck. If I do the pattern again, I might use a facing instead.

I made one big bonehead mistake and put the wrong edge of the pattern against the fold when cutting. I couldn't believe it. There wasn't enough fabric to cut a new piece so I just put a center front seam in. It's a loose fitting shirt so I didn't have to add any inches to the bust.

This is a knit shirt made from Butterick 3438, View C. I like the design of the pattern but had a frustrating experience with the instructions. Following the instructions I simply could not get the armhole/neck facing applied and then turned right side out. I've done the technique when there is an unsewn center back seam but that didn't work here. I ended up sewing the neck first then awkwardly turning the armhole and stitching it. The result is pretty cute but I find sewing knits difficult and rarely perfect looking. Final verdict: I was disappointed and frustrated by the pattern instructions on this one especially since it's a designer endorsed pattern. This dress is made using Butterick B4973. Another knit dress, the finishing isn't perfect but if you don't look closely it's ok. I rushed when cutting it out and didn't add enough length to the bust. I ended up adding a kind of crescent shaped piece at the bottom of the bust to give it fullness and decreasing the seam allowance at the shoulder. The one thing I don't like about the pattern is that the seam allowance at the waist makes the casing for the elastic. I found it too challenging to fold over the fabric. I attached stretch lace seam binding to the seam allowance to create the casing. My adjustments made it a little wonky in places but it's not bad. My advice is be very careful if you have a full bust before cutting.

I bought some new patterns yesterday and can't wait to continue sewing my summer wardrobe.
I recently had my sewing machine tuned up and it is running so beautifully now that I'm quite inspired. I already have the pieces cut for the dress from Vogue V3819. So I had better get to work.