Today I have a quick little video to share my top seven methods for finishing seams. Finishing (also called neatening) seams is really important for ensuring that your garments will last a long time. It’s worth the time to learn different finishes and find the ones you like best for your fabric.
I hope that you enjoyed this video. For future reference, below is a list of those seam finishes that I mentioned in the video and an image so that you can see what they look like close up.
1. Pinking shears (such as this pair)
2. Zig Zag (most conventional machines can do this stitch)
3. Overlock stitch (this is done on a conventional machine and often uses a special foot)
4. Serger (this is done on a special serger (aka overlocker) machine and uses three or four threads)
5. French seams (check out this tutorial to learn more)
6. Bias bound seam (check out this tutorial to learn more)
7. Clean finish (check out this tutorial to learn more)
If you enjoyed this video, make sure to follow me on YouTube so that you can be notified when new videos are released. Happy sewing!